January 27, 2020
Here is the schedule for spring 2020. Meetings take place on Friday mornings, 10:30am-12pm, in Dwinelle 1303.
- February 14: Discussion of D'Onofrio 2019
- March 6: Ernesto Gutiérrez, "OpenSesame" (skills workshop)
- March 20: (10:30-11:20) Annie Helms, "Sociophonetic Variation of Spanish /e/ Production by Catalan-Spanish Bilinguals in Barcelona" (practice talk for LSRL); (11:20-12) Katherine Hilton, "TBD"
- April 3: (10:30-11:20) Loulou Kosmala, "An empirical study of (dis)fluency phenomena in different languages and social contexts"; (11:20-12) Eric Wilbanks, "Twitter Mining" (skills workshop)
- April 24: Tentatively: Peer-reviewing NWAV abstracts
- May 1 (11:15-12:00): Mingzhe Zheng, "TBD"
December 10, 2019
At our meeting on 12/10, 3:30-5pm, SLaB member Annie Helms will be presenting a tutorial entitled "Generating Continua in TANDEM-STRAIGHT." Description from Annie:
This workshop is designed to familiarize linguists with the application TANDEM-STRAIGHT, which can be used to create a continuum from two endpoint audio files. The resulting continua can be used as stimuli for discrimination and identification tasks in speech perception experiments.
October 10-12, 2019
SLaB will be represented at NWAV 48 (University of Oregon) by Isaac L. Bleaman and Justin Davidson:
- Bleaman, Isaac L.: "Linguistic prescriptivism, social conservatism, and phonetic drift in language maintenance communities"
- Davidson, Justin:
- "Creating interactive shiny dashboards to showcase sociolinguistic research: Seeing the forest and the trees" (workshop)
- "On (not) acquiring a sociolinguistic stereotype: L2 Catalan lateral production by L1-Spanish bilinguals"
September 10, 2019
Inaugural meeting of the Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley (SLaB)!