January 27, 2020
Here is the schedule for spring 2020 (currently being finalized):
- February 14: Discussion of D'Onofrio 2019
- March 6: Ernesto Gutiérrez, "Workshop: OpenSesame"
- March 20: Annie Helms, "Sociophonetic Variation of Spanish /e/ Production by Catalan-Spanish Bilinguals in Barcelona" (practice talk for LSRL conference)
- April 3 (11:10 AM start time): Eric Wilbanks, "Workshop: Twitter Mining"
- April 24: Tentative: Peer-reviewing NWAV abstracts
- May 1: TBD (Tenatively a presentation by Mingzhe Zheng, UC Berkeley)
December 10, 2019
At our meeting on 12/10, 3:30-5pm, SLaB member Annie Helms will be presenting a tutorial entitled "Generating Continua in TANDEM-STRAIGHT." Description from Annie:
This workshop is designed to familiarize linguists with the application TANDEM-STRAIGHT, which can be used to create a continuum from two endpoint audio files. The resulting continua can be used as stimuli for discrimination and identification tasks in speech perception experiments.
October 10-12, 2019
SLaB will be represented at NWAV 48 (University of Oregon) by Isaac L. Bleaman and Justin Davidson:
- Bleaman, Isaac L.: "Linguistic prescriptivism, social conservatism, and phonetic drift in language maintenance communities"
- Davidson, Justin:
- "Creating interactive shiny dashboards to showcase sociolinguistic research: Seeing the forest and the trees" (workshop)
- "On (not) acquiring a sociolinguistic stereotype: L2 Catalan lateral production by L1-Spanish bilinguals"
September 10, 2019
Inaugural meeting of the Sociolinguistics Lab at Berkeley (SLaB)!