'a:dich'owhte I am bashful
'e:wa:k-whonde:ne have pity on me!
'iwhdin I'm content, I like it where I am
ch'ine:lgit he became afraid
dime:n-nay'ay it (child) is hard to please, fussy
k'iwhliwh I am jealous
me:diwhdin I want it, crave it, want to have or do it
me:niwhgit I'm afraid of it, I fear it
me:so:yse'n I wanted to do it
me:sowhsin I want to do it, I'm really interested in doing it
nikyah-nich'o:ne he has respect for you
niwhdin I'm in love with you
niwhgit I'm afraid, I fear, I'm a coward
wha:'uło' I laugh
whije:'sil-ch'itehs'a:n he got on my nerves, he began to bug me
whije:'-tilts'it I get scared, surprised, taken unawares
whikyulah-'a:k'idyah I got angry, mad
wung-xoje'-ch'o:nda' he has pity, pities someone
xoning'-łintehłdow he frowned
Dictionary Entry [entry ID #1831] (related entries)
'iwhyo' • I like it • verb (theme: O-(we:s)-l-yo') [imperfective, 1sg subject, inanimate object]
• Semantic domain: emotions
- xowhyo' I like him, her [imperfective, 1sg subject, animate object]
- ch'ilyo' he or she likes it [imperfective, animate subject, inanimate object]
- ch'ixolyo' he or she likes him, her [imperfective, animate subject, animate object]
- łidilyo' we like one another [imperfective, 1pl subject, reciprocal object]
- ch'iłilyo' they like one another [imperfective, animate subject, reciprocal object]
- wehsyo' (or we:syo') I started to like it [perfective, 1sg subject, inanimate object]
- do: we:syo' I didn't like it [perfective, 1sg subject, inanimate object]
- ch'ixowehsyo' he or she started to like him, her [perfective, animate subject, animate object]
- we:silyo'-te you will like it [future tense, perfective, 2sg subject, inanimate object]
- ch'i'ilyo' she always liked it [customary, animate subject, inanimate object]
Audio (click to listen)
Examples from texts
text: Verdena's cat, line 14 (full story)
(click to listen)
he goes to the bathroom in there, then it smells bad and he doesn't like it, he runs away from it
text: Verdena's grandmother's job as a nanny, line 54 (full story)
she never liked it no more, then it was no longer really good because he would suck up water (and spray it) all over the top
text: Verdena's life story, part 1, line 309 (full story)
I was really enjoying watching them and I really liked it, and then I realized that my mother ...
text: Verdena's life story, part 1, line 351 (full story)
"nobody else will like you"
text: Verdena's life story, part 1, line 373 (full story)
I guess those (girls), they really started to like him
text: Learning to Ride a Motorcycle, line 8 (full story)
...he rides to the store on it, and then he always tells me, "You'll like it a lot."
text: Learning to Ride a Motorcycle, line 23 (full story)
Then, I didn't like that, "Take me home quickly," I said, "back to the house."
text: Learning to Ride a Motorcycle, line 60 (full story)
...it drives around, we would go drive around down by the river sometimes, and then she always liked that, then...
text: Learning to Ride a Motorcycle, line 61 (full story)
...she's too big, it's like she leans over in the wrong way around the back [of the motorcycle], then it seems like it's going to fall over, and then I don't like to take her with me very much.