Linguistics 110 Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology
Also, if you find broken links or outdated or misleading information on this page, please send me an email.
The course syllabus has links to all of the handouts and lecture slides, as well as some section
handouts, and the homework assignments.
Get a detailed description of the course project
Get a copy of a final exam from a previous year..
|Sept. 11||Homework 1 is due.|
|Sept. 16||Homework 2 is due.|
|Sept. 23||Course project interim report is due.|
|Sept. 30||Homework 3 is due.|
|Oct. 14-18||Production exam (by appointment).|
|Oct. 21||Midterm exam.|
|Oct. 28||Homework 4 is due.|
|Nov. 25||Homework 5 is due.|
|Dec. 13, 5 pm.||Term Paper is due.|
|Dec. 19, 7-10 pm||Final Exam (location TBA)|
Visit the Course in Phonetics web page for sound files and movies related to A Course in Phonetics and much more.
Here are two examples of exceptionally good term project reports.
Will Chang project report
Daniel Bruhn project report
(many thanks to Will and Daniel for granting permission to post their papers here).
WaveSurfer - an open sourse tool for sound visualization and
manipulation. I like this one better than Praat.
2. Or download the Praat speech analysis software package.
3. Check out Keith Johnson's youtube channel.
1. The IPA website has a great tool for listening to the sounds of the IPA.
2. Hear Peter Ladefoged demonstrate the sounds on the IPA chart.
3. Here's a link to voice coach Paul Meier's IPA charts.
4. Get the SIL IPA phonetic fonts.
5. See the Course in Phonetics "extras" page for phonetic illustrations from around the world, extra transcription exercises, and MRI and ultrasound movies of the speaking vocal tract.